BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS
Finding the cure for glitter rash one vampire at a time...

Friday, November 5, 2010

I HATE WINTER...

I thought everyone knew that you couldn't keep a Southern Belle at 50 degrees.  Its kind of depressing to think that this is the beginning of the cold weather, that's its going to get much colder and that the winter months are stretching out before me like a road full of burning coals that I'm going to have to walk through barefoot.  *LE SIGH*  But, we will have stories to keep us warm, won't we, my lovelies??

In personal news... my awesome friend and beta reader, Mia, got some EXCELLENT news today.  After a long road of chemo and radiation, she's been declared IN REMISSION!!!  It really makes you feel good to know that there is a God and that He is out there and listening.  She's one of the more awesome people I know and I can't imagine a world where she's not in it.   So... SCORE ONE FOR THE GOOD GUYS!  And yes Mia, I will be sending a nice gift-wrapped Saraqael to your door for Christmas.  Just keep him warm-- angels get cranky in snow.

Its been a long time since I posted, I know.  I've actually been busy writing on the WIP and I really hope to be done with it by the end of this month so I can send it out to some lucky submission editor.  So if I'm slow to post, you know why.  That being said, I can't resist giving you a taste.... see the bottom of the post. Also-- yours truly is going to be a guest at Mysticon in Roanoke, VA on Feb. 25th- 27th, 2011.  I'd love to see anybody and everybody.  I have to have enough folks to ride in the party bus...lol.  J/K.

Without further ado---- a piece from the as of yet untitled WIP---

*********************


I see you’ve decided to join me after all,” Marek’s voice echoed from across the room, making Sascha jump.  She turned to see him standing in front of a long dining table.  His hands were clasped behind him, making him look even larger than before.  He looked somewhat calmer this time-- less wild.  His long, black mane still fell across his brow in unkempt waves, but it shone brightly in the firelight.  He wore simple black leggings tucked into riding boots that stopped at the knee and an ivory shirt laced just over his sternum.  He was, in a word, breathtaking in his masculine beauty.  Sascha approached him cautiously, concentrating on keeping her breath even and silently cursing the smooth bottoms of her slippers.  She just knew she was going to fall down on her way crossing the space between them.  
“As you wished, My Lord,” she replied, bowing clumsily.
“No,” he answered sharply.  “In a gown, you are to curtsey.  Try to remember that you aren’t a stableboy.”  One corner of his generous mouth turned slightly upward as if he wanted to smile.  He took her hand as she curtseyed, nearly losing her balance.  He chuckled, leading her to the seat across from his.
As they sat, she noticed that only one end of the table had been set.  It struck her as funny that they were only two people sitting at a table meant for at least twenty.  She tried to stifle her laughter, but a small sound escaped and she covered her mouth quickly.
“Something amuses you?” he asked.
“No, My Lord,” she stammered.
“Oh please, little one, speak freely,” he replied, pouring wine into his goblet.  
“Well,” Sascha began, unsure as to whether she should continue.  “The dining room.  It seems so absurd that two people should dine in such a grand room alone.”  She looked down at her lap, trying to look demure rather than embarrassed.  
Marek nodded and leaned back against his chair casually.  “Perhaps you’re right,” he said, taking a sip of wine.  “Tomorrow in my bedchamber, then.”  He stared into her eyes pointedly, his innuendo clear.
Sascha cleared her throat, knowing that her face was bright red.  She shifted in her seat a little, a sudden warmth settling between her legs.
Marek smiled victoriously, inhaling the scent of her arousal almost immediately.  “You’ll have to forgive me, girl.  I’m not really used to company.”
Before she could reply, Anya entered with a large tray, setting it on the table between them.  “Shall I serve, My Lord?”
“No, thank you, Anya,” he replied, his eyes never leaving Sascha’s.  “I’m sure that we can manage.”  Anya gave a slight bow and sent a reassuring smile in Sascha’s direction before disappearing into the kitchen again.  Leaning forward, he pulled the cover off of the tray, revealing roasted venison that smelled so inviting that Sascha’s stomach growled.  Her mouth ached as it watered hungrily.  Marek motioned for her to help herself.
“I couldn’t serve myself before you, My Lord,” she mumbled.
“Of course you could,” he replied.  “I actually ate earlier.”  He smiled, remembering the way in which he’d acquired tonight’s meal.  “Please.  You look as if you need it more than I.”  He watched with interest as she served herself, pulling at the meat with her fingers.  She tore into it as if she hadn’t eaten in years and was sure someone would take it away.  He watched for several more minutes, allowing her to finish before speaking again.  “Poor child.   You really have been neglected, haven’t you?”
She swallowed self-consciously before taking a generous gulp of wine from her goblet.  “What do you mean, My Lord?”
“You eat with both hands like a savage,” he stated matter-of-factly.  “Not at all the way a lady should.”  
Sascha blushed again.  This time not with embarrassment or fear, but with hurt anger at his criticism.  “You asked that I eat.”
“Not as if you were killing it with your bare hands.”  He took another drink from his goblet and rose slowly, walking around the table and standing behind her.  He leaned down, his mouth against her ear.  “If you are to live in my house,” he whispered, “you will behave in all situations as a lady.”  Sascha felt her heart pounding beneath her chest, feeling as if it would push everything she’d eaten back into her throat.  Marek reached forward and took the fork at the side of her plate between his fingertips.  “These utensils were created so that we don’t have to behave like animals.”  He offered the instrument to her and she took it, her hands shaking.
Marek straightened to his full height and turned, walking away from the table towards the corridor.  Before leaving, he turned back to her.  “If you insist on acting as a beast, I can assure you that I will treat you as such,” he said calmly before disappearing down the hallway.

****************

0 comments: