BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS
Finding the cure for glitter rash one vampire at a time...

Sunday, July 4, 2010

Back to work...


Well greets and mistreats, folks. I know, Padre. Its been a long time since my last confession. But I had a good excuse. I was lying on the beach plotting new deeds. And now I feel pretty energized. That's not to say that I couldn't use another week away from life.

So I've discovered that I'm really enjoying writing a story to which the skeleton has already been filled in by those good ol' Brothers Grimm. Of course the two of them would probably be turning in their graves to see what I'm doing to their sweet little hero and heroine. But its alright because I'm sure a little sexual arousal is just what they need in their crypt. I know I could use a little in mine :-). But yes, I really recommend re-working an old fairy tale if you're in a writing rut. Even if it never sees the light of day, it can get your creative juices flowing. Pick a favorite and do your worst.

While I was at the beach, I read the most INCREDIBLE BOOK!! Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter is a fantastic book by Seth Graheme-Smith (of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies fame). Not only does it turn an iconic historical figure into a kickass hero-- but it actually made me want to read a serious biography of Abraham Lincoln. And it weaves the vampires into American history so effortlessly that it seems plausible. I would definitely rush out and get a copy if I were you. Of course I had to get a copy of Pride and Prejudice and Zombies to read next. Its pretty good so far. I haven't really had time to read a lot of it. But more importantly, I noticed how many knock-offs there were at the bookstore. And it got me thinking---- Wuthering Heights and Vampires! Or some other supernatural thing. Now, if you've never read Wuthering Heights, its kind of a ghost story in its own right. But I contend that Heathcliff (the anti-hero) is by far the sexiest male character in classic literature. He'd make a great vampire. And he sure as shit wouldn't sparkle.

Anyway.... just some thoughts.

0 comments: